7.19.2009

God-breathed but tarnished by human hands

I realized today that every book I have read this summer has made me cry.
Crying is such a strange thing.
It can happen when you are overwhelmed,
when you are deeply saddened,
when you are frustrated,
when you are completely happy,
and when you are really tired.

Most of the books I have read this summer have depicted a facet of love that I don't completely understand, but one that very readily evokes emotion in my heart. In the particular books I have read, the love has been one between friends, or between family (father and son) (sisters) etc. It didn't occur to me until just now that awhile back I asked God to show me how to love. In the books I read, the circumstances amplified the love between characters to a magnitude that is hard for me to fully comprehend. I am learning that seeing and observing love between others and receiving love from God is preparation for the love that I am learning to give. I am selfish to the core of my humanity but seeing and feeling selfless love is so humbling. It's that element of beauty amidst the filth and tragedy that is our man-made society; God-breathed but tarnished by human hands. God is good. I have faith that redemption is ever occurring- just give me eyes to see it.

It's time to start a new journal.

3 comments:

Ethan said...

"am learning that seeing and observing love between others and receiving love from God is preparation for the love that I am learning to give. I am selfish to the core of my humanity but seeing and feeling selfless love is so humbling. It's that element of beauty amidst the filth and tragedy that is our man-made society; God-breathed but tarnished by human hands. God is good. I have faith that redemption is ever occurring- just give me eyes to see it."

wow.

Erika said...

What have you been reading/what would you recommend? I love when books make me cry :)

Caroline said...

let's see...
1. My sisters keeper
2. Of Mice and Men
3. The Road
Those were the three that really got me cryin a river.