2.02.2010

Unless the Lord builds the house...


Lately I have been learning a lot about working to fills needs vs meeting needs only when the Spirit directs me. Someone brought to my attention a few weeks ago that when Jesus walked the earth he did not heal every sick person. Jesus did not feed every hungry human, he did not meet every need. I find my self so quickly agreeing to anything and everything that is asked of me only to be dissatisfied, burned out, and spent. It began to occur to me that even if something is good and needs to be done, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's my job to do it. When I attempt to meet a need that is not mine to meet I am stealing the opportunity for someone who IS called to use their gifts to glorify the Lord. I can't be in every Bible study, I can't read every book, I can't pray with every friend for hours every night, I can't be on every team or join every volunteer group. I am trying to learn how to distinguish between the "want to" and the spirit's promptings. I don't think I have a problem saying no when I don't want to do something but I do have a problem saying no when I want to do it all.


"Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it. Unless the Lord guards the city, the watchmen stays awake in vain."
Psalm 127:1

I don't want to build houses that the Lord isn't building with me. I don't want to labor in vain. I want to do things that matter, things that I am called to do. I can build one hundred churches, feed one thousand people, and cure cancer but if the Lord does not lead me to do it then it's all meaningless in the end.

1 comment:

Sean Russell said...

WOW! Your post really speaks to me at this nutty time in my life. Thank you.