2.19.2009

some call me a mystic



In the past week, I have come in contact with the word Pomegranate many times. While I obviously know that a Pomegranate is a very good tasting fruit, I found it somewhat bizarre that it came up in conversation so many times and in so many different contexts.
1. I had a dream that I was eating a pomegranate and in the dream, it was quite possibly the most delicious thing I have ever tasted. Every seed was like drinking a glass of juice.
2. While in a staff meeting the next day, someone randomly started talking about how priests in the Bible used to have images of Pomegranates on their robes but couldn't remember why.
3. After hearing the word in various other places, I remembered that just last Sunday, I ordered on a whim, a Pomegranate Italian Soda.

So today I asked one of my good friends (a woman after the heart of God no less) to look online and see what the significance of a Pomegranate is.

This is what she found...

"Exodus 28:33–34 directed that images of pomegranates be woven onto the hem of the me'il ("robe of the ephod"), a robe worn by the Hebrew High Priest. Jewish tradition teaches that the pomegranate is a symbol for righteousness, because it is said to have 613 seeds which corresponds with the 613 mitzvot or commandments of the Torah. For the same reasons, pomegranates are a motif found in Christian religious decoration. They are often woven into the fabric of vestments and liturgical hangings or wrought in metalwork. The fruit, broken or bursting open, is a symbol of the fullness of his suffering and resurrection.[31] In the Eastern Orthodox Church, pomegranate seeds may be used in kolyva, a dish prepared for memorial services, as a symbol of the sweetness of the heavenly kingdom."

Well shoot, no wonder it tasted so good in my dream, "the sweetness of the heavenly kingdom!!!"

1 comment:

Ethan said...

I reallllllly like this! This is a cool post. I had something similar happen to me two weeks ago, where the same subject kept coming up really randomly in dreams and conversations. And now, of course, I forget what it was, but that's alright. Anyhow, gooood post Caroline.