4.07.2009

How many times today?





Today I was told by a professor that children laugh approximately 300 times a day.
Then came the startling statistic that adults laugh approximately 17 times a day.

What happens in the transitions of life that make us lose our sense of fascination?
It's as if we are born with this tremendous sense of humor, and then within a matter of years, we lose it.
Has my imagination really depleted that much?
I wish I still thought it was hilarious to throw tennis balls on the roof of the house.
I wish I still laughed at my parents old school jokes.
I wish I still chuckled when I said words over and over and over until they didn't sound like English anymore.
I wish it was still appropriate to coat my sisters face in lipstick and send her around to all the neighbors houses asking for rash irritation ointment.
Am I allowed to refuse to grow up?

I think I will start praying for more laughter.
I for one will not let laughter evaporate from my adult life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about how we lose our childlike passion and really have to fight for it as we get older...its wierd ya know...one day you believe anything and everything is possible you KNOW God will heal your mother, you know if you pray hard enough that God can make it snow in august...but then one day you wake up and you just are not so sure anymore...you believe He can but no longer know that He will. It seems to silly and it is just harder to believe without a shadow of a doubt. I want to be there again and i am praying for that becuase with out that kind of faith I limit God and He wants to make it rain lollipops just for me...so I am believing...i am getting my hopes up...and i am terrified but i am going to believe with everything in me...i am not going to be smart and wise or protect myself from God...He is my protector...okay so i totally just blogged on your blog...sorry...love you and i hope we laugh a ton today!!!!