1.21.2009

Tonight

Setting: Under the Jackson Street Bridge
Tempurature: 30 degrees
Occasion: Lost Sheep
Time: 7-8 oclock

Michael Terry:
A homeless man in his mid 40's. Long redish hair, dull cigarette hanging from his mouth, not overly dirty.

MT: (motioning with a gloved hand) "Hello.. can I talk to you for a second"
me: yeah sure, Hi, I'm Caroline. What's your name? (shake hands)
MT:" Michael.. my name is Michael Terry, it's nice to meet you."
(I proceed to sit on the ground)
me: "so what's up?"
MT: "I was just wondering how long it took you to grow your hair that long. How old are you anyway? Like 18? How far did you have to drive to get here?"
me: "Well, I'm 21. It took me about five minutes to drive here, and my hair grows really fast.. I actually got it cut a few months ago."
MT: "NO WAY!!!! I've been growing my hair out for 20 years longer than you have and mine still isn't that long! I wonder why mens hair doesn't grow as fast as womens??"
me: "I have no idea. Maybe it's because women are always cold so they need long hair to keep them warm.. (my attempt at a joke) who knows... So where are you from?"
MT: "Arkansas, I got here 2 months ago and I'm actually homeless now because I just had my third divorce."
me: "I'm sorry, that must be rough. But you picked a fun city! Knoxville is great, especially when it's warm."
MT: "Yeah, I really like meeting new people. People here are fascinating. I like getting to know people's territory. Do you like to meet new people?"
me: "Yes, I love meeting new people. I have met some really amazing people here."
MT: "Well, save your spendings for a rainy day friend. You don't want to end up out here.. it will make you old before your time."
me:"I will try my best. It was really nice to meet you. See you next week?"
MT: "Definitely! Have a good week friend."

It's simple conversations like these that make me want to go back week after week.
I love the honesty of the people I meet there. What would it be like to talk to everyone you passed by? Telling them things like how hard divorces are, and how lonely life on the streets is... I hope one day I can learn to be as honest and friendly as the poor.

No comments: