3.06.2009

Ode to Childhood


I was babysitting tonight and started thinking about the fact that I may very well be married and might even have children in the next 5 years.
That blows my mind.

I was reading a book to the little girl before she went to sleep. We were reading "Goodnight moon" which was one of my favorite's when I was little.
There is one line that is repeated in the book that says, "And a little old lady was saying, 'hush'."
The little girl is probably one years old and is just learning to talk and didn't say a word the entire time until we came to that line.. and when I would read it, she would whisper "hush".
There was something so great about it.
So after I turned her light out and prayed for her, I went and read with her brother and tucked him in and went to the living room.
I was sitting there thinking about my own mom and dad and how life was when I was that age and got all emotional out of no where.
So I started making a list of all my favorite memories of growing up, funny things that happened, random things I remember my parents saying, things that they might not even remember but were for some reason important to me.
I wrote three pages of things and I can still think of a million more.. but to refrain from boring you with things you won't understand without a story, I will only list my absolute favorites.

in no order...
1. Sunday Lunches, reading the paper and laughing
2. My sister, mom, and I singing at the top of our lungs at the dinner table and my dad getting so annoyed (God seriously blessed my dad with a tremendous amount of patience :)
3. Family rounds of "Sardines" if you don't know how to play, please learn!!
4. Hopping the fence and going exploring with my dad
5. Going to the peanut shop downtown with daddy
6. Having tea parties with mom
7. THE POOL!!!! the 2 best things about the pool were 1. the cook out night- Dad would come!!! and 2. When mom would agree to .....GET HER HAIR WET!!! (this was such a big deal!) and have under water tea parties
8. Making massive tents/forts with dad and leaving them up for weeks, much to mom's disapproval.
9. Sneaking into Jane's room in the middle of the night to listen to (Y107... for all you Nashvillians that remember that station from back in the day... I can remember the first time I ever heard of Madonna.... SCANDALOUS!) and to jump on the beds pretending to be famous gymnasts.
10. Practicing saying the Greek alphabet with dad (He just thought it was hilarious for a 5 year old to know that)
11. Putting rocks in mom's pockets when she wasn't paying attention and thinking it was the most hilarious prank ever.
12. Going to Sonic with dad on Saturday's and listening to the oldies station ("big girls don't cry")
13. Convincing Jane to dress like a clown, ring everyone on the streets doorbell, and preform a dance for them (while I hid in the bushes laughing hysterically).

1 comment:

Pam said...

Found your blog by clicking on the Next Blog tag. Sounds like you had a magical childhood. Lucky you! And I'm going to Google "sardines" right now.